Do you know that you can accurately predict where and who you’ll be five years from now? If you want to know-how, the answer is simple: by the company you keep. The people you forge relationships with have a major impact and influence on your life – either positive or negative. And that is why I think that being selective about who you allow into your life should be considered as an important part of self-care.
- Are they saying one thing to your face but another less kind thing about you behind your back?
- Are they associating with you only because they want something?
- Do they lack self-control and don’t care about the consequences of telling your secrets to others?
- Are they judging you based on your family or educational background?
- Do they find it easier to put you down instead of providing you with constructive criticism?
- Do they lie to or about their parents, families, you, other people?
- Do they connect your success or progress to reasons which are derogatory or untrue?
- Are they keeping you away from being better or healthier?
- Are they jealous of you and your achievements?
- Do you feel like you are getting no value from these associations?
- The number of times you answer Yes to the above questions will give you an insight into what kind of action you need to take but if you still want to hear it from me, here’s what you need to do with such people – cut them off your life ! The sooner the better.
Self-care is about filling your life with good and positive people and letting their energy overflow your life with optimism and happiness.